Biomedical sciences combine the fields of biology and medicine in order to focus on crucial health aspects. They are a set of sciences applying portions of natural or formal science to knowledge, interventions, or technology for the betterment of lives. They help to gain intelligence about the human body, diagnose diseases, deliver drugs, and more. There is a rising level of interest in the biomedical space and the future holds great promise because of the amazing opportunities it presents. The well-rounded, 5-year integrated M.Sc. in Biomedical Science at NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science has been designed to maximize its theoretical and practical applications.
It’s a ‘5-year Integrated program after Class 12’ with a curriculum designed to cater to the needs of Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, Clinical Data Management, Molecular Diagnostics and Biomedical Industries. The program lays emphasis on the overall development of laboratory skills of research students coupled with an expansion of their knowledge base through interdisciplinary course work. The course is reviewed regularly in consultation with their Board of Studies, which comprises experts from academia, research institutions & industry pan India.
With the legacy of 40 years, NMIMS Deemed to be University has grown to being not only one of the top-10 B-schools in India, but also emerged as a multi-disciplinary, multi-campus University at Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Indore, Shirpur, Dhule, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Chandigarh and seventeen constituent schools that include Management, Family Business, Engineering, Pharmacy, Architecture, Commerce, Economics, Law, Science, Liberal Arts, Design, Performing Arts, Mathematical Science, Agricultural Science, Hospitality Management, Branding & Advertising and Distance Learning. In addition, NMIMS has nine Centres of Excellence as well at the University.
The focus of the course is to train the students in both theory and application of specialized areas while providing them an understanding of the basic concepts with a holistic view.
- Inter-disciplinary focus: Bioinformatics, Biostatistics and Biotechnology
- Suited for students interested in medical & clinical aspects of biology
- Study in Life Sciences and subjects allied to medicine
- Foundation courses: First three years (Undergraduate)
- Electives with specialization: Fourth & fifth year (Postgraduate)
Apart from enhancing the language, communication and computer skills, the program takes care of the students’ overall development through training in soft skills & social involvement.
- To facilitate contemporary research through extensive lab-based practical modules
- To help master ‘Journal Article Presentations’ through the latest research papers
- To impart industrial training – 2 Month summer training & 6 Month live research project
- To offer state-of-the-art infrastructure: Cell culture lab, Real-time PCR, HPLCs, etc.
- To develop a structured regimen with respect to analytical & cognitive skills and overall personal development
- To inculcate leadership, community awareness and social sensitivity through Social Involvement Program (SIP)
The passing out students from this program will have excellent opportunities in government and independent laboratories involved in medical research, public health, diagnostics, etc. Also, they are perfectly trained to pursue a career in basic or applied sciences/technology/data management. They can even opt for careers in:
- Academia: Doctoral research
- R&D: Research fellow, Technical expert
- Industry: Quality control (Pharma, Biotech); Clinical data management (Bioinformatics); Molecular diagnostics: Applications expert (Referral labs, Hospital labs).
The ‘5-year Integrated M.Sc. in Biomedical Science’ program at NMIMS Sunandan Divatia School of Science is tailor-made to keep pace with the futuristic developments in the Biomedical field.