Tencent Holdings Limited (“Tencent” or the “Company”, 00700.HK), a leading provider of Internet value added services in China, today announced the unaudited consolidated results for the second quarter (“2Q2020”) and first half year of 2020 (“1H2020”) ended June 30, 2020.
1H2020 Key Highlights
Revenues: +28% YoY; Non-IFRS profit attributable to equity holders of the Company: +29% YoY
- Total revenues were RMB222,948 million (USD31,492 million), an increase of 28% over the first half of 2019 (“YoY”).
- On a non-IFRS basis, which is intended to reflect core earnings by excluding certain one-time and/or non-cash items:
– Operating profit was RMB73,204 million (USD10,340 million), an increase of 31% YoY. Operating margin increased to 33% from 32% last year.
– Profit for the period was RMB59,204 million (USD8,363 million), an increase of 29% YoY. Net margin increased to 27% from 26% last year.
– Profit attributable to equity holders of the Company for the period was RMB57,232 million (USD8,084 million), an increase of 29% YoY.
– Basic earnings per share were RMB6.038. Diluted earnings per share were RMB5.945.
- On an IFRS basis:
– Operating profit was RMB76,571 million (USD10,816 million), an increase of 19% YoY. Operating margin decreased to 34% from 37% last year.
– Profit for the period was RMB61,857 million (USD8,737 million), an increase of 18% YoY. Net margin decreased to 28% from 30% last year.
– Profit attributable to equity holders of the Company for the period was RMB62,003 million (USD8,758 million), an increase of 21% YoY.
– Basic earnings per share were RMB6.541. Diluted earnings per share were RMB6.440.
- Total cash were RMB281,086 million (USD39,704 million) at the end of the period.
2Q2020 Key Highlights
Revenues: +29% YoY; Non-IFRS profit attributable to equity holders of the Company: +28% YoY
- Total revenues were RMB114,883 million (USD16,228 million), an increase of 29% over the second quarter of 2019 (“YoY”).
- On a non-IFRS basis, which is intended to reflect core earnings by excluding certain one-time and/or non-cash items:
– Operating profit was RMB37,629 million (USD5,315 million), an increase of 38% YoY. Operating margin increased to 33% from 31% last year.
– Profit for the period was RMB31,220 million (USD4,410 million), an increase of 29% YoY. Net margin remained stable at 27%.
– Profit attributable to equity holders of the Company for the quarter was RMB30,153 million (USD4,259 million), an increase of 28% YoY.
– Basic earnings per share were RMB3.180. Diluted earnings per share were RMB3.130.
- On an IFRS basis:
– Operating profit was RMB39,311 million (USD5,553 million), an increase of 43% YoY. Operating margin increased to 34% from 31% last year.
– Profit for the period was RMB32,454 million (USD4,584 million), an increase of 31% YoY. Net margin remained stable at 28%.
– Profit attributable to equity holders of the Company for the quarter was RMB33,107 million (USD4,676 million), an increase of 37% YoY.
– Basic earnings per share were RMB3.491. Diluted earnings per share were RMB3.437.
 Non-IFRS adjustments (formerly referred to as non-GAAP) excludes share-based compensation, M&A related impact such as net (gains)/losses from investee companies, amortisation of intangible assets and impairment provision/(reversals), as well as income tax effects.
 Figures stated in USD are based on USD1 to RMB7.0795
Mr. Ma Huateng, Chairman and CEO of Tencent, said, “Since the beginning of this year, the COVID-19 pandemic has swept the world, disrupting our daily work and life routines. During this challenging time, we utilised our platforms and technologies to help users adapt to the new normal via online tools, to support enterprises in conducting digital upgrades, and to broadly contribute to economic recovery. We achieved generally robust operating and financial results in the second quarter, testifying to the diligence of our teams and resilience of our business model. We are committed to investing in talents, technology and platforms in a disciplined manner to embrace the emerging structural opportunities and challenges ahead.”
2Q2020 Financial Review
Revenue from VAS increased by 35% to RMB65,002 million for the second quarter of 2020 on a year-on-year basis. Online games revenues grew by 40% to RMB38,288 million. The increase was primarily driven by higher revenues from smart phone games in both domestic and overseas markets, including titles such as Peacekeeper Elite and Honour of Kings, partly offset by the decrease in revenues from PC client games such as DnF and CrossFire. Total smart phone games revenues (including smart phone games revenues attributable to our social networks business) were RMB35,988 million and PC client games revenues were RMB10,912 million for the second quarter of 2020. Social networks revenues increased by 29% to RMB26,714 million. The increase was mainly due to revenue contributions from digital content services including the live broadcast services of HUYA Inc. (“HUYA”, which we consolidated as a subsidiary from April 2020), and music subscriptions growth, as well as revenue growth from in-game virtual item sales.
Revenues from FinTech and Business Services increased by 30% to RMB29,862 million for the second quarter of 2020 on a year-on-year basis. The increase mainly reflected revenue growth from commercial payment due to increased average daily transactions and value per transaction, from wealth management, as well as from cloud services as a result of greater consumption of our public cloud, particularly by the Internet services and municipal services sectors.
Revenues from Online Advertising increased by 13% to RMB18,552 million for the second quarter of 2020 on a year-on-year basis. Social and others advertising revenues grew by 27% to RMB15,262 million. The increase was primarily due to revenue growth from our mobile advertising network, benefitting from increased traffic and a greater mix of video advertising with higher pricing, as well as increased revenues derived from Weixin Moments due to more inventories and impressions. Media advertising revenues decreased by 25% to RMB3,290 million. The decrease was primarily driven by lower advertising revenues from Tencent Video as a result of weak brand advertising demand amid the challenging macro environment, as well as delayed content production and releases.
Other Key Financial Information for 2Q2020
EBITDA was RMB40,525 million, up 24% YoY. Adjusted EBITDA was RMB43,742 million, up 25% YoY.
Capital expenditures were RMB9,466 million, up 117% YoY.
Free cash flow* was RMB28,451 million, up 127% YoY.
As at June 30, 2020, net cash position totalled RMB7,212 million. Fair value of our stakes in listed investee companies (excluding subsidiaries) totalled RMB726,244 million.
* Starting from 2020, free cash flow was adjusted by subtracting payments for media content and lease liabilities, in addition to subtracting payments for capital expenditure from the operating cash flow. Restated free cash flow was RMB16.8 billion in 1Q2019, RMB12.6 billion in 2Q2019, RMB28.1 billion in 3Q2019, and RMB31.3 billion in 4Q2019, respectively.
(in millions, unless specified)
Combined MAU of Weixin
Smart device MAU of QQ
Fee-based VAS registered
Business Review and Outlook
Since the beginning of this year, the COVID-19 pandemic has swept the world, disrupting our daily work and life routines. During this challenging time, we utilised our platforms and technologies to help users adapt to the new normal via online tools, to support enterprises in conducting digital upgrades, and to broadly contribute to economic recovery. Here are some highlights for our key products and business lines:
Communication and Social
For Weixin, we released update to enhance functionalities for communication, content and services. For communication, the new Tickle function has enabled many creative expressions, and the addition of live broadcast function to Weixin school-plus-home groups facilitated online education within Weixin. MAUs and daily messages sent both increased year-on-year. For content, we upgraded the video content publishing functionalities in Official Accounts, enhanced content discovery with strengthened recommendation algorithm and launched content aggregation tools. These initiatives revitalised content consumption in Official Accounts, resulting in year-on-year increase in page views. As for services, we assisted traditional retailers to migrate online and support their business resumption via Mini Programs. Transactions value generated via Mini Programs increased sequentially as economic activities recovered. We launched a free and easy-to-use toolkit, Mini Stores, to help long-tail merchants build and operate digital storefronts, empowering them with various functions such as order management, after-sales services and live broadcast.
In QQ, we enriched features to enable users to better interact with their friends and families while they are physically apart. Users can initiate online parties and play AI-empowered social games together with their friends in video chats. To engage the expanding fan base for Anime, Comics, Games and Novels (“ACGN”) content, we offered customisable comic stickers within QQ chats, and enriched content for ACGN-related Mini Programs, which gained popularity among young users.
In China, user time spent on our smart phone games increased year-on-year but decreased quarter-on-quarter due to seasonality and back-to-office behavior. Honour of Kings deepened its user engagement with the release of more top-tier skins during its annual Give Me Five festival. Peacekeeper Elite celebrated its first anniversary with new content and game modes to enhance the competitive game experience, and we partnered with Tesla to introduce in-game Tesla-branded car skins in July, which proved highly popular. In the second quarter, we launched a strategy game, Chess Rush; an action game based on a popular anime IP, The Outcast; and Supercell’s Brawl Stars. Brawl Stars ranked first in the iOS China Download Chart in June this year, extending its global leadership in the fast-paced 3v3 MOBA genre.
Internationally, our MAU increased significantly year-on-year and quarter-on-quarter due to new game launches and more user time spent during the stay-at-home period. We released an immersive team-based action game for PC, Valorant; a card game supporting cross-platform play on PC and smart phones, Legends of Runeterra; and a licensed mobile RPG, CODE:D Blood. Valorant was the most watched game globally on Twitch during the second quarter, reflecting the game’s instant appeal to immersive action game players.
Our fee-based VAS subscriptions increased 20% year-on-year to 203 million, primarily due to growth in video and music content subscriptions. Video subscriptions increased 18% year-on-year to 114 million, driven by self-commissioned Chinese anime and drama series, such as The Land of Warriors Season 3, Candle in the Tomb: The Lost and The Romance of Tiger and Rose. Sequentially, traffic for long-form video sites in China, including Tencent Video, declined due to work-from-office behavior and delayed releases of certain high-profile variety shows and drama series. However, Tencent Video’s traffic has increased subsequent to the quarter end, driven by popular drama series such as Nothing But Thirty, which we believe reflects the underlying resilience of our video platform. Music subscriptions rose 52% year-on-year to 47 million as Tencent Music increased the scope of the paid music library.
Continued strength in social and others advertising contributed to the year-on-year revenue growth for our online advertising business. Sequentially, our online advertising revenue grew at a slower-than-seasonal rate as the games and Internet services sectors, which had ramped up advertising aggressively during the first quarter of 2020 due to work-from-home behavior, reduced their spending to more normal levels. However, our advertiser industry breadth diversified in the second quarter of 2020 as categories such as eCommerce and education spent heavily for the 618 promotional campaigns and summer courses, while categories such as automobile and consumer electronics brands increased their spending as consumption recovered.
To reinforce our long-term competitiveness in performance advertising, we launched an integrated advertising platform in July, where advertisers can more efficiently place advertisements across all of our inventories, including our mobile advertising network. This new platform will also enhance bidding efficiency and provide smarter targeting for advertisers.
For social and others advertising, Weixin properties, particularly Moments, saw rapid advertising impressions growth, while our mobile advertising network experienced higher eCPMs as video advertisements’ revenue contribution increased from a single digit percentage in the second quarter of 2019 to over 40% in the second quarter this year. We believe the Weixin ecosystem is redefining China’s online advertising by enabling advertisers to sustain relationships with their users in their own private domains, such as Official Accounts and Mini Programs, with the result that our advertisers are effectively investing in long-term and loyal customer relationships, rather than just purchasing one-time transactions.
As for media advertising, revenue declined sharply year-on-year due to weak demand from brand advertisers and the delayed production and release of certain variety shows and drama series, some of which we expect to release in the second half of 2020.
Our commercial payment and wealth management businesses grew their users and business scale, driving FinTech revenue up year-on-year and quarter-on-quarter. Offline merchants, especially SMEs increasingly adopted our payment services and business management tools, as they sought to digitally upgrade their businesses to access customers and settle transactions via mobile phones. During the quarter, merchant demand for our payment solutions stepped up, especially from categories such as retail and restaurants. As a result, the number of average daily transactions and value per transaction for our commercial payments both grew year-on-year.
For our wealth management business, the aggregated customer assets and the number of active customers increased rapidly year-on-year as more customers appreciated the convenience of managing their cash through our secure and carefully-curated platform.
Cloud and Other Business Services
Increased cloud services usage by Internet companies and the public sector contributed to the year-on-year and sequential revenue growth of our cloud and other business services. Due to the lingering impact from COVID-19, offline project deployment has not fully resumed in the second quarter, but we signed major contracts in the financial and public sectors, while expanding our presence in emerging verticals such as medical, education, and meetings and exhibitions, to help customers in their digital transformation. On technology and infrastructure, we are adopting custom-made equipment, as well as building and expanding our own hyperscale data centres to enhance the performance and optimise the cost of our cloud services for the long run.
Sinotruk leaping forward to become world-class technology enterprise
JINAN, China, March 2, 2024 /PRNewswire/ — On March 2, SinoTruk’s Science and Technology Innovation Award Annual Conference 2024 was grandly held, to recognize and rewarding major scientific and technological achievements and outstanding innovative talents since 2022, planning and deploying scientific and technological innovation work ahead. Tan Xuguang, Chairman and General Manager of Shandong Heavy Industry Group, Chairman of China National Heavy Duty Truck Group, attended the conference and delivered a report on scientific and technological innovative work – “Steadily stride forward, embracing change in science and technology”.
Over the past five years, Sinotruk has invested nearly RMB 15 billion in R&D, which is the sum of the previous 15 years. It has benchmarked against world-class standards and gradually established a full-process independent research and development system. Sinotruk technological strength has reached the forefront of the national industry. Sinotruk has reshaped the “Yellow River” heavy-duty trucks standard with technology, ranking first in China, and its high-tech indicators are leading the industry. The market share of heavy-duty trucks has increased from 16.5% in 2018 to 26% in 2023, ranking first in China for two consecutive years. In 2023, the export volume exceeded 130,000 vehicles for the very first time, a 2.6-fold increase compared to 5 years ago, making it the largest single-brand global export volume in the world.
Tan Xuguang called on all engineers to keep in mind their mission, be down-to-earth, persistent in innovation, and make long-term achievements through dedicated ten years of hard work. Learn from the global cooperation, grow and become talents through project training, and achieve through continuous value creation. Achieve your meaning in life, strive with vitality and passion while you are young. Let’s set off again for a better future for the century heavy truck industry and the world’s best heavy truck industry!
Flash News: OKX Introduces Exclusive ‘Babylon Pioneer Pass Event’ in Collaboration with Babylon, Offering Free Pioneer Pass NFT Minting for the First 100,000 Users Who Stake on Babylon Testnet
SINGAPORE, March 2, 2024 /PRNewswire/ — OKX, a leading Web3 technology company, has issued updates for March 2, 2024.
OKX Introduces Exclusive ‘Babylon Pioneer Pass Event’ in Collaboration with Babylon, Offering Free Pioneer Pass NFT Minting for the First 100,000 Users Who Stake on Babylon Testnet
OKX today announced the launch of its ‘Babylon Pioneer Pass Event,’ giving users who access the Babylon Testnet and stake any amount of Signet Bitcoin (sBTC) the opportunity to claim Babylon’s Bitcoin Pioneer Pass NFT. To qualify for a spot, users must access the Babylon Testnet and stake any amount of Signet Bitcoin (sBTC).
The event kicks off on February 28 and continues until March 6. Following the event, starting from March 7, participants who have been whitelisted will have the ability to mint their Bitcoin Pioneer Pass NFT using the OKX Wallet and their whitelisted address.
The process of participating in this event is straightforward and involves the following steps:
- Firstly, users will need to prepare by setting up their OKX and Keplr Wallets. These wallets will be crucial for interacting with the Babylon Testnet and the subsequent claiming of sBTC and BBN.
- Following the wallet setup, users can then claim the sBTC and BBN on Babylon’s Official Discord. These tokens will be needed for staking in the Babylon Testnet.
- Finally, users will need to access Babylon’s official website, where users can actively engage, stake their tokens and claim their whitelist spots.
Participation in the event offers a multitude of benefits. Users can engage actively with the Babylon Testnet, which in turn enhances their understanding of the Babylon protocol and its functionalities. Furthermore, participants contribute to the development and evolution of the Babylon protocol by being active users.
The ‘Babylon Pioneer Pass Event‘ is a result of OKX’s partnership with Babylon, a trustless Bitcoin staking protocol. The Bitcoin Pioneer Pass, Babylon’s first commemorative Non-Fungible Token (NFT), is a highlight of this event, representing a significant milestone for both OKX and Babylon.
For more information, please visit the OKX Support Center.
A leading global technology company driving the future of Web3, OKX provides a comprehensive suite of products to meet the needs of beginners and experts alike, including:
- OKX Wallet: The world’s most powerful, secure and versatile crypto wallet which gives users access to over 80 blockchains while allowing them to take custody of their own funds. The wallet includes MPC technology which allows users to easily recover access to their wallet independently, removing the need for traditional, ‘written down’ seed phrases. In addition, OKX Wallet’s account abstraction-powered Smart Account enables users to pay for transactions on multiple blockchains using USDC or USDT, and interact with multiple contracts via a single transaction.
- DEX: A multi-chain, cross-chain decentralized exchange aggregator of 300+ other DEXs and approximately 15 bridges, with 200,000+ coins and more than 20 blockchains supported.
- NFT Marketplace: A multi-chain, zero-fee NFT marketplace that gives users access to NFT listings across seven top-tier marketplaces including OpenSea, MagicEden, LooksRare and Blur.
- Web3 DeFi: A powerful DeFi platform that supports earning and staking on about 70 protocols across more than 10 chains.
OKX partners with a number of the world’s top brands and athletes, including English Premier League champions Manchester City F.C., McLaren Formula 1, The Tribeca Festival, Olympian Scotty James, and F1 driver Daniel Ricciardo.
As a leader building innovative technology products, OKX believes in challenging the status quo. The company recently launched a global brand campaign entitled, The System Needs a Rewrite, which advocates for a new paradigm led by Web3 self-managed technology.
To learn more about OKX, download our app or visit: okx.com
View original content:https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/flash-news-okx-introduces-exclusive-babylon-pioneer-pass-event-in-collaboration-with-babylon-offering-free-pioneer-pass-nft-minting-for-the-first-100-000-users-who-stake-on-babylon-testnet-302077698.html
UnionPay International and The Tourism Organisation of Serbia Sign MOU to Enhance Tourist Payments and Promote Serbia as a Premier Destination
BELGRADE, Serbia, March 1, 2024 /PRNewswire/ — UnionPay International, the leading global card scheme, has entering into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with The Tourism Organisation of Serbia (TOS). This strategic partnership aims to enhancing the payment experience for tourists and to further facilitate tourism growth in Serbia.
The MOU signing ceremony took place at Belgrade on 27th February 2024, marking the beginning of a collaborative effort between UnionPay International and TOS. The agreement outlines various areas of cooperation:
Jointly promoting Serbia as Travel Destination: Through optimised marketing resources, both parties aim to promote Serbia as tourist destination among UnionPay cardholders, with its rich cultural heritage and unique experiences, provide comprehensive tourism information and payment guides for the tourists visiting Serbia. UnionPay International aims to provide more diversified and convenient payment choices, and ensuring seamless payment experiences for travellers visiting the country.
Privileges and Benefits: The partnership will explore opportunities for preferential activities that bring additional benefits to UnionPay cardholders visiting Serbia. This approach aims to boost the attractiveness of the local tourism market and create a win-win situation for both parties.
Ms Bomee Sheng, Product Director of UnionPay International, expressed her enthusiasm about the collaboration, stating, “We are delighted to partner with The Tourism Organisation of Serbia to promote tourism and facilitate payment experiences in Serbia. Through this partnership, we aim to provide UnionPay cardholders with enhanced convenience and benefits, ultimately contributing to the growth of Serbia’s tourism industry.”
Ms Marija Labović, CEO of National Tourism Organisation of Serbia, commented, “This partnership with UnionPay International comes at an important time as we strive to become the most popular all year destination in the region.” She outlines Belgrade’s popularity and the diversity of attractions from city breaks to natural retreats and she is looking forward to the Expo 2027 in the capital, “By leveraging UnionPay’s global network and advanced payment solutions, we are confident that we can attract more visitors to Serbia and provide them with memorable experiences.”
In recent years, Serbia has emerged as one of the most attractive destinations for Chinese visitors. It is hailed as the “heart of the Balkans” and offers a unique blend of captivating landscapes and rich cultural heritage. Its visa-free entry policy, coupled with the exceptional acceptance coverage of UnionPay cards, has played a significant role in attracting Chinese tourists. With over 90% of local merchants and ATMs supporting UnionPay payments and withdrawals, travellers can enjoy seamless payment experiences across various sectors, including retail, dining, hotels, gas stations, toll stations, and tourist attractions.
About The Tourism Organisation of Serbia (TOS)
The Tourism Organisation of Serbia (TOS) was formed under the Law on Tourism of 1994 as the institution in charge of promoting Serbian tourism in domestic and foreign markets, as well as performing other duties relevant for the development of communication and advertising activities in Serbian tourism. The activities of TOS are focused on positioning Serbia’s tourism products in domestic and foreign markets and exploring Serbia’s comparative advantages in terms of tourism, including its geostrategic position and its historical, cultural and natural identity.
About UnionPay International
UnionPay International focuses on the international business of UnionPay, a global payment network that serves the world’s largest cardholder base. Collaborating with over 2,600 partners globally, UnionPay acceptance now reached to 183 countries and regions. Outside the Chinese Mainland, UnionPay is accepted at nearly 67 million merchants and 1.7 million ATMs.
View original content:https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/unionpay-international-and-the-tourism-organisation-of-serbia-sign-mou-to-enhance-tourist-payments-and-promote-serbia-as-a-premier-destination-302077241.html
- Sinotruk leaping forward to become world-class technology enterprise
- Flash News: OKX Introduces Exclusive ‘Babylon Pioneer Pass Event’ in Collaboration with Babylon, Offering Free Pioneer Pass NFT Minting for the First 100,000 Users Who Stake on Babylon Testnet
- UnionPay International and The Tourism Organisation of Serbia Sign MOU to Enhance Tourist Payments and Promote Serbia as a Premier Destination
- Expressions of Interest for Director of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Bitget Wallet now supports the Blast Mainnet, pioneering full ecosystem support as a Web3 wallet
- Antarctica Advisors Acts as Exclusive Investment Banking Advisor to Central Seaway Company Inc. in the Sale to Captain Fresh
- Zetrix & Web3Labs’ Global Accelerator Programme Officially Opens for Registration
- Cashback and Crypto: Bybit’s Monthly Bonanza
- Promotion Meeting of the Qianhai Plan Held in Hong Kong
- CRISIL to host 8th edition of its flagship India Outlook conclave
- Valmet publishes Green Finance Framework
- BBVA Leadership Team Member Joins Wirex to Strengthen Risk & Compliance Function Amidst Global Expansion
- BTCC Exchange Announced as Headline Sponsor for Red Eagle Foundation’s Celebrity Golf Day Featuring Frank Lampard
- Central Japan Startup Ecosystem Holds Symposium on “Homeland of Mobility 5.0 – Leading Society to the Next Generation”
- Bybit Card Now Supports Google Pay, Enhancing Assets Spending Convenience in EEA Region
Fintech PR4 days ago
ETH Leads Institutional Bets But Retail Still Favor BTC According to Bybit Report
Fintech PR4 days ago
nuam exchange and Vermiculus Financial Technology establish partnership to create technological core for Central Counterparty Clearing Houses in Chile, Colombia and Peru
Fintech PR4 days ago
KSA BNPL Revolution: Market Set to Surge 48% as Consumers Embrace Flexible Payment: Ken Research
Fintech PR4 days ago
Klarpay Launches Exclusive Entrepreneur Accounts
Fintech PR4 days ago
Looking for 40 young leaders: AGYLE, the African-German Young Leaders programme, is now open for applications
Fintech PR4 days ago
Quinnox selected as one of the top 2 global partners of Adenza’s Certified Implementation Partners program
Fintech4 days ago
Moomoo Launches All-in-One Investment Super App in Malaysia; Empowering Local Financial Digitalisation
Fintech5 days ago
Fintech in AI deal with Brookfield-backed Abu Dhabi payments group